Intra-company transfer is type of business visa which enables employees of a foreign company to transfer into the Canadian branch or a sister company of their existing foreign company. This is actually a type of work permit as per Immigration and Refugee Protection Act R205(a). The applicants need to fulfill the following criteria to be eligible to apply:

  • Currently be an employee of a company in another country and applying for work permit to work in Canada in a parent, a subsidiary, a branch, or an affiliate of that foreign company
  • Must be transferred to a position in an executive, senior managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity
  • Must have been employed by their foreign company continuously for at least one year in the three years preceding the application.

Initial work permit is given for a period of max 3 years or 1 year for a start-up. They may get a work-permit for a total duration of up to 5 or 7 years with extensions.

For more details and to apply, please get in touch at

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is an ICT or Intra Company Transfer Canada?

The intra-company category permits international companies to temporarily transfer qualified employees to Canada for the purpose of improving management effectiveness, expanding Canadian exports, and enhancing competitiveness in overseas markets.

What is the benefit of an ICT or Intra-Company Transfer ?

One of the main benefits of ICT is that there is no requirement for an LMIA or Labor Market Impact Assessment. A second major benefit of an ICT is work experience points. Once you work for that employer in Canada for a year, you can claim 50 points in the CRS for express entry.
This is due to the fact that ICT falls under the exemption code C12 as per Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation subsection 205(a) under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) and exemption code T24 as per R204(a) for qualified intra-company transferees who are citizens of a country that has signed a free trade agreement (FTA) with Canada, namely NAFTA (and similar FTAs).

Can I change employers while on an ICT in Canada?

No, this is an employer specific work permit so in order for your work permit to remain valid, you cannot change employers.

Can my spouse and dependent children move to Canada with me on an ICT?

Yes. They will also be eligible to move to Canada as your dependents.

What is the maximum duration for an ICT or Intra-company transfer work permit?

The max duration is 7 years for a senior manager or executive and 5 years for specialized knowledge workers.

Can I apply for PR after an ICT?

You can apply for PR, for example, through express entry since you will get additional points for canadian work experience once you have worked in Canada for at least one year.

Who is a specialized knowledge worker for an ICT or Intra-Company transfer ?

Knowledge that is unique and uncommon; it will by definition be held by only a small number or small percentage of employees of a given firm. Specialized Knowledge workers must therefore demonstrate that they are key personnel, not simply highly skilled.
The onus is on the applicants to provide evidence that they meet this standard. Documentary evidence may include, but is not limited to, the following: a resume, reference letters, letter of support from the company, job descriptions that outlines the level of training acquired, years of experience in the field, degrees or certifications obtained in the field, list of publications and awards (where applicable), a detailed description of the work to be performed in Canada.

What are the documents required for an ICT or Intra-Company Transfer Canada?

From the worker:
proof of citizenship, documentation from the employer
From the employer:
confirmation that the foreign national is currently employed by a related enterprise outside Canada that plans to transfer him or her to a parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate of that enterprise in Canada, confirmation that the employee has been employed (via payroll or by contract) in a similar position by that company continuously for 1 year (full-time) within the 3-year period immediately preceding the initial application, outline of the employee’s position outside of Canada: job title, place in the company, job description, duties, outline of the employee’s intended position in Canada, arrangements for remuneration
length of employee’s intended stay in Canada, description of the qualifying relationship between the Canadian and the foreign company, evidence that both companies are doing business
Additional documents required from employer for specialized knowledge workers:
documentation establishing the employee’s specialized knowledge, confirmation that the position in Canada requires such knowledge

Can Start-up companies apply for an ICT ?

Yes, if the company in Canada is a start-up but associated with an international company, it can be eligible for an ICT.